We all love those lazy evenings around a bonfire or in our personal lounge where we sip our favourite booze along with our favourite company, but everything has its price, here we are not talking about the price of your precious wine but the price your teeth pay while gulping them!
The alcohol does many things like:
– Drying the mouth
– Acid destroys enamel
– Dark barley in beer stains teeth
– Sugar in soft drinks and soda invites bacteria
– Even white n of course red wine contains chromogens and tannins which attach to the enamel and stains it.
What can You do about it?
We don’t want to spoil your evenings, so here is what you can do while enjoying your share of high
1. Use a straw – It may sound kiddish but using a straw will save your teeth big time from getting stained.
2. Drink like a Fish – Yes, fish doesn’t drink alcohol so drink as much water as you can, Rinse and swish with water in between the drinks.
3. Less Lemon – American Dental Association recommends having lesser citrus in your drink as it will add to the damage.
4. Know Your Booze – Go through some good books like ‘The Wine Bible’ by Karen MacNeil, so that you can differentiate between the high and low carb beers or high n low sugar drinks and can choose wisely accordingly. Also check your frequency of drinking.
5. Dilute it – diluting your drink is always good as it reduces the damage considerably, water is always best but soft drinks are the worst, better use soda than the sugary soft drinks to drink right.
6. Brush Wisely – Being a proactive person is always good, but don’t brush immediately after the alcohol consumption, as it will increase the damage, wait for 2 hours at least and also brush and floss properly the next morning.
7. Eat Well – Eating right has a great impact on oral health along with drinks, so pair your drinks with humus and pita bread or your favorite salad but never drink without munching on some healthy sides. Both your liver and your teeth will thank you for this. Also try to have some dairy products the next day as it will help in repairing the damage.
8. Regular Cleanings and whitening – Don’t forget your regular twice a year dental cleaning schedule, and also if your teeth are stained then you can go for whitening treatment as well. As the stains can’t be formed easily on a clean and smooth surface so you can have your drink and enjoy it too..just don’t forget to give a treat to your pearly whites as well.
Got stains or plaque?
Book an appointment at GDC , so that your can have your bright smile back and keep enjoying your evenings!
Dr Ankit Gaur is a Dentist having an experience of over 13 years.
He practices in Gaur Dental Clinic in Mayur Vihar Phase 1 New Delhi
He is also a Senior Panelist in MAX Health Care Dental Patparganj New Delhi
He is an expert in the following services
Application of Dental Braces for Children
Root Canal Treatment
Complete/Partial Dentures Fixing,
Teeth Scaling and Polishing,
Impaction / Impacted Tooth Extraction and Gum Disease Treatment
Accidental Dental Surgery.
Dr Gaur is also a member of Indian Dental Association and Indian Orthodontic Society.
- Dental Braces2017.02.10How I got perfect Straight teeth for Life!
- Home Remedies2017.01.20Funny facial Exercises to tone-up your sagging face n neck in just 5 Minutes!
- Dental dos and donts2016.12.28Still Munching Nicotine Chewing gum after Quitting Cigarette!Know Why they say ‘stop it after 12 weeks’!
- Home Remedies2016.12.217 Amazingly Simple ways to treat Cranker Mouth Sores!