Toothache is one of the most annoying pains of the body; it changes intensity even by taking a deep breath or having something cold or hot, even by lying down or getting up! It is the kind of pain that always keeps you in a dilemma that what should be done to cure it.
What can possibly be wrong?
There can be n number of reasons of your toothache, but here are the most common ones:
-Gingivitis (gum inflammation)
-Crack tooth pain
– Sinus infection
– Wisdom tooth eruption
– Tooth sensitivity etc
What can I do till I see my Dentist?
Undoubtedly, the dentist must be seen for the same, but sometimes the pain starts at night without giving you a chance to seek expert help, then here are a few remedies that you can follow till you get the professional help:
1. Oils that Help – There are many oils that have been proven to act as anaesthetics due to the presence of eugenol in it, especially the clove oil. Other oils like sunflower and peppermint oils also help in masking the pain for a short while. Just rub lightly and leave as it is.
2. Vanilla Essence – Vanilla is as good in relieving pain as it is in adding a flavour to your baking, all you need to do is rub lightly over the pain area and forget it. It works on your smell senses and hides the pain from brain by distracting it to its appealing aroma.
3. Salt & hot water – As they say, old is gold, so nothing can beat the effect of salt and hot water cleansing, you just need to add a teaspoon salt to the hot water and squish it 3-4 times a day and voila! Your pain will start easing as it will wash away the bacteria as well as the pus if present. But remember, we need to treat the root cause otherwise the problem will keep on increasing.
4. Ginger & garlic – No, I am not starting any recipes here, but we can’t deny the antibacterial nature of ginger and garlic so they help in easing out the pain, all you have to do is to grab a piece of any of the root and keep it on the pain area and press so that the juices flow near the pain site thus soothing it. Don’t forget to brush after!
5. Ice – keeping the ice bag on your cheek helps, even keeping an ice-cube inside your mouth can be relieving but they work best in trauma cases.
6. Citrus Fruits – Though there are lesser evidence about the effects of fruits on toothache, but they add to some comfort definitely.
7. OTC painkillers – An over the counter pain killer won’t hurt but don’t make it an escaping habit as it won’t cure your condition, just remove a symptom. Make sure you know which pain killer suits you best and to which you are allergic.
8. Sleeping Position – Keep your head elevated by supporting it with 2-3 pillows to get a comfortable position which hurts less.
So these were the most effective home-remedies for toothache, but if You are having one, then don’t forget to see your dentist, click the link below to book an appointment:
Book Dental Appointment
Dr Ankit Gaur is a Dentist having an experience of over 13 years.
He practices in Gaur Dental Clinic in Mayur Vihar Phase 1 New Delhi
He is also a Senior Panelist in MAX Health Care Dental Patparganj New Delhi
He is an expert in the following services
Application of Dental Braces for Children
Root Canal Treatment
Complete/Partial Dentures Fixing,
Teeth Scaling and Polishing,
Impaction / Impacted Tooth Extraction and Gum Disease Treatment
Accidental Dental Surgery.
Dr Gaur is also a member of Indian Dental Association and Indian Orthodontic Society.
- Dental Braces2017.02.10How I got perfect Straight teeth for Life!
- Home Remedies2017.01.20Funny facial Exercises to tone-up your sagging face n neck in just 5 Minutes!
- Dental dos and donts2016.12.28Still Munching Nicotine Chewing gum after Quitting Cigarette!Know Why they say ‘stop it after 12 weeks’!
- Home Remedies2016.12.217 Amazingly Simple ways to treat Cranker Mouth Sores!